If I get hit by an uninsured driver while riding my bicycle can I get compensated for my injuries?

Attorney Jay KanterAuthor: Attorney Jay Kanter

The answer is Yes, if you own a car, or reside with a relative who owns a car AND there is an auto insurance policy with uninsured motorist coverage. Under the Florida No Fault Law, medical bills incurred from a bicycle accident where any car or truck is involved will be paid under the PIP (personal injury protection) coverage on the policy. ALL auto policies have this coverage which is mandatory in Florida. PIP will cover 80% of all medical bills up to a $10,000.00 limit. To be compensated for pain, suffering, scarring, and other injuries, it is essential to carry uninsured motorist coverage on your auto policy. In addition to paying for injuries, UM coverage will cover medical bills that exceed $10,000.00, as well as, some economic damages including lost wages and certain out of pocket expenses. As Florida does not even require drivers to carry bodily injury coverage to operate a vehicle, it is VERY important to carry Uninsured Motorist coverage on your own automobile insurance policy. This coverage will protect you AND the resident relatives in your household, including minor children, in the event that someone is injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

Share your comments with us. Our lawyers will respond to your comments.

Click here or call us at (800) 383-7853 to schedule an appointment at one of our office locations.

We are available to meet with you at your home, business, or the hospital.

Free telephone consultations are always available.