I was a passenger in my friend’s car and we were hit by an uninsured driver. Is there any way I can be compensated for my injuries and expenses?

Attorney Jay KanterAuthor: Attorney Jay Kanter

There are two potential sources to get compensation for injuries caused by an uninsured driver. If the vehicle in which you were a passenger had uninsured motorist coverage you would be entitled to pursue a damage claim against that policy. You need not be a named insured, to collect UM benefits. If the host vehicle did not have UM coverage, you can make a claim under your own auto policy for UM benefits if you carry that coverage. Even though your car was not involved in the subject accident, your UM benefits will cover you if you are injured by an uninsured driver or vehicle no matter where it happens.

Regardless of fault and regardless of whose vehicle you were in, your own No Fault benefits (PIP) will cover your medical expenses directly related to your accident. PIP will pay 80% of your medical bills up to $10,000.00. If there is medical payment coverage available, 100% of your medical bills will be paid up to the PIP and med pay limit combined.

If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver or have questions regarding uninsured motorist benefits or Personal Injury Protection benefits, please contact Attorneys Dell & Schaefer for a free telephone consultation.

Share your comments with us. Our lawyers will respond to your comments.

Click here or call us at (800) 383-7853 to schedule an appointment at one of our office locations.

We are available to meet with you at your home, business, or the hospital.

Free telephone consultations are always available.