I was riding my bicycle and got hit by a car that failed to stop at a stop sign. If I do not have health insurance, how do I get my medical bills paid?

Attorney Jay KanterAuthor: Attorney Jay Kanter

If you are a bicyclist or a pedestrian, and you get hit by a car, your own personal automobile insurance company will pay your medical bills resulting from that accident. The Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage under your auto policy pays your hospital and other medical bills, in addition to 60% of lost wages, if you are injured in any auto accident, whether you are in a car or on a bicycle. This coverage pays your medical bills and lost wages, regardless of who was at fault for the accident.

If you do not own a car registered in Florida, or reside with a relative who owns a car registered in Florida, you will be entitled the PIP benefits from the car that hit you. A basic PIP policy will provide $10,000.00 in medical and lost wage benefits. An injured bicyclist can also bring a bodily injury claim to collect damages for out of pocket medicals not covered by PIP, and compensation for pain, suffering and scarring that may have resulted from the accident.

If you have been involved in a bicycle or car accident, call Attorneys Dell & Schaefer for a free consultation as to what benefits and compensation you are entitled to receive.

Share your comments with us. Our lawyers will respond to your comments.

Click here or call us at (800) 383-7853 to schedule an appointment at one of our office locations.

We are available to meet with you at your home, business, or the hospital.

Free telephone consultations are always available.