What happens if the other driver flees the scene of the accident?

Attorney Jay KanterAuthor: Attorney Jay Kanter

This is becoming more common each year. If you are involved in an accident and the other driver attempts to leave the scene, getting the tag number is the most important thing you need to do. Try to take a look at the driver as well, so that you can identify the person. DO NOT attempt to follow or chase the driver as that can be very dangerous in many ways. Immediately call the police and make a report, whether or not you have the tag number of the fleeing vehicle. A report will be needed in order to make the appropriate claims against your own insurance company.

If you carry collision coverage, your own insurance company will pay for your car repair or total loss, subject to your deductible. If you are injured, your PIP coverage will cover most of your medical bills and if you carry Uninsured Motorist Coverage, you can be compensated for your injuries, pain, suffering and out of pocket expenses not covered by your PIP coverage. A “hit and run” accident is one of many examples where carrying Uninsured Motorist Coverage is essential to protect yourself and your family.

Share your comments with us. Our lawyers will respond to your comments.

Click here or call us at (800) 383-7853 to schedule an appointment at one of our office locations.

We are available to meet with you at your home, business, or the hospital.

Free telephone consultations are always available.