What to do if You Are in a Truck Accident?
Were you or your loved one injured in a Florida truck accident? If so, you may be overwhelmed, recovering from injuries and unsure what steps to take next. The law firm of Dell & Schaefer has represented clients like you since 1979. We are dedicated to giving you the legal advice and assistance you need during this difficult time.
You Had A Truck Accident. Now What?
Following a truck accident in which you were injured, the steps you take are important and can definitely affect the outcome of your potential claim or lawsuit. Here are some tips to prepare you for what to do after a truck crash. Every situation is different and it might not be possible to do all of these suggestions. Take care of yourself and those around you first.
At The Accident Scene
- Contact the police immediately or as soon as possible — Once the police arrive, be sure to request a copy of the police report or find out how to get one. Only give the facts when speaking to the police. Do not make statements about fault or what you think happened.
- Get medical attention — It is important that you be evaluated and treated as soon as possible. Be honest about your injuries.
- Avoid talking with the truck driver too much — Statements that may seem harmless could later be construed against you.
- Photograph and observe the accident scene — Use your phone, camera or other device to take photos. Draw diagrams or pictures or write down notes. Capture as much imagery as possible while the accident scene is undisturbed. Important information to document includes: the vehicle DOT license number for the truck and trailer if there is one, names and identification on the truck, skid marks, the truck and tire conditions, the conditions of all vehicles including your own.
- Gather information — Such as the truck driver’s license and insurance information and truck owner information.
- Talk to people — Find out what witnesses saw and get their names and contact information. Also, make a note of all other people on the scene and those taking pictures or talking to witnesses.
After The Accident
- Retrace your steps — Write a list of every detail you remember about the accident (before, during and after) as soon as possible.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident.
- Contact us at Dell & Schaefer so we can review your situation.
- Do not speak with anyone connected to the trucking company without your attorney.
- Do not sign anything without first consulting a lawyer.