While vacationing in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, I was injured in an auto accident. I live in New York and am getting all my medical treatment near my home. Should I retain a Florida attorney to represent me or can I use a New York attorney?

Attorney Jay KanterAuthor: Attorney Jay Kanter

If you sustained injuries in an accident which occurred in Fort Lauderdale, you should retain an attorney in the county where the accident happened. Florida law will apply to your case and if a lawsuit is required, it must be filed in the county where the accident occurred or in the county where the defendant resides. Your Florida attorney will communicate with your New York doctors and properly document the extent of your injuries. Upon conclusion of your treatment, your damage claim can be evaluated and submitted to the insurance company for the at-fault party. If the case cannot be resolved, your Florida attorney can file a lawsuit in Broward County, Florida, in order to get you fair compensation for the injuries, pain and suffering sustained in the accident.

If you are injured in an accident in the State of Florida, regardless of where you live, contact attorneys Dell and Schaefter for a free consultation on how to best proceed in your claim for damages.

Share your comments with us. Our lawyers will respond to your comments.

Click here or call us at (800) 383-7853 to schedule an appointment at one of our office locations.

We are available to meet with you at your home, business, or the hospital.

Free telephone consultations are always available.